Afraid to file for divorce

I have been legally separated for 4 years but my ex is a very violent man and he has custody of my son, in violation of FAM 3044. I am terrified to file for divorce because I am afraid he will hurt my son. Can I divorce him without him knowing?

Unfortunately, no. You will need to serve him with the divorce petition.