Property joinder in family court

My sister and I are on the title of a house (as equal owners). She is undergoing a contested divorce. How can I file a claim in Orange County Family Court to protect my share of the property when my sister’s community assets are divided? Is there a standard form I can submit for this purpose, or am I supposed to write a letter?

I am told this is a ‘Joinder’ related issue. Additionally, is it a simple process where one can self file?

I don’t know that you necessarily need to file anything at this point unless your soon to be former brother-in-law disputes your ownership of the property. Regardless, it is your sister’s responsibility to file to join you to the action - you are not a party, which means you have no standing (legal right) to file anything in her divorce.

1 Like